Maybe It’s Time to Start Blogging Again


Blogs were such a big thing fifteen years ago. Back then I was a thirty-something stay-at-home mom, homeschooling two boys. We had just settled in our little city, and I knew virtually no one. 

Blogs were a lifeline long before the advent of “social media” as we know it today. I devoured blogs daily, most of them on homeschooling. I also wrote, or tried to write, more than one blog of my own. 

This last decade, blogs seemed to go the way of the dinosaurs. People moved away from them in droves. Of the ones that are left, many are now heavily monetized. It’s common now to open a recipe on a blog and be confronted with multiple pop-ups: play a video, subscribe to a mailing list, buy this thing.

Finally, the creeping censorship that has been growing steadily like mold in a dank place, has exploded all over social media. And here, like an old friend, blogs welcome us back.

I have no illusions that blogs won’t be the target of the censors. This blog, for instance, is currently on Blogger, a Google platform. The censors will come eventually. But in the interim, it feels nice to be back in an old familiar place.

Comments